REGISTER FOR SELF ASSESSMENT NOW, in 3 simple steps. Complete our simple form and register for your UTR number now!

You need a UTR number (Unique Tax Reference number) if you work in construction, want to be self employed or register for self assessment.

We’ll guide you every step of the way

Apply for a UTR Number

You will need your self assessment Unique Tax Reference (UTR) number when you start work. The contractor for whom you are working will ask you for your UTR, before you are first paid, in order to determine which tax deduction rate to use.

The UTR is issued when you are first set up under self assessment to complete a tax return. If you have not previously been required to prepare a tax return, you will be given a UTR when you register as self-employed.


Complete our simple form and register for your UTR number now!

You need a UTR number (Unique Tax Reference number) if you work in construction, want to be self employed or register for self assessment.

We’ll guide you every step of the way

We help individuals and companies that often ask the questions ‘ why should i register for self assessment?’, “What is self assessment registration” and “HMRC register for self assessment”.

Apply for a UTR Number

Why should I register as self employed?

There are many benefits of being self employed, but without being registered as self employed you could be missing out. If you’re self-employed you’re entitled to the same tax free personal allowance as someone who is employed. Here are some of the other benefits of being a registered as self employed

  • Self-employed tax credits
  • Self-employed Housing Benefit
  • Self-employed Universal Credit
  • Self-employed grants

When do I need to fill in a self assessment?

If you fall under any of the criteria below then you will need to fill out a self assessment form:

  • Your self-employment income was more than £1,000
  • You earned more than £2,500 in untaxed income, for example from commissions or tips
  • Your income from savings or investments was £10,000 or more before tax.
  • You need to pay Capital Gains Tax on profits from selling things like shares or a second property
  • You received a P800 from HMRC saying you did not pay enough tax last year.
  • Your income from renting out property was more than £2,500 (you will need to contact HMRC if it was between £1,000 and £2,500)
  • You’re a director of a company (unless it was a non-profit organisation, such as a charity)
  • You, or your partner’s, income was over £50,000 and you’re claiming Child Benefit
  • You have income from abroad you need to pay tax on, or you live abroad but have an income in the UK
  • Your taxable income was over £100,000
  • If you earn over £50,001 in the 2019/20 tax year (£50,001 for 2020/21) and make pension contributions you may have to complete an assessment to claim back the extra tax relief you’re owed
  • You are a trustee of a trust or registered pension scheme
  • Your State Pension was more than your personal allowance and was your only source of income

As a specialist HMRC agent* we are able to handle the management process and apply for your registration, on your behalf, to become registered with HMRC for self-assessment. Once your self-assessment registration process is complete, you will be issued with a UTR number (unique tax reference number) and when your UTR arrives it will be registered for CIS, ‘The Construction Industry Scheme’if you selected that option on our online UTR application.

Apply for a UTR Number

How long does it take to get my UTR or CIS number?

Once you have registered for your UTR number through our online application form, HMRC will issue your UTR number and send you a letter at home, containing your UTR number, it may take up to 6 weeks (or only 10 working days if you chose our Fast Track UTR Service)

This service is completely free with no obligations or tie in to any further services we offer. When you go through your self assessment registrationwith us, it is the simplest and most convenient way to register for self assessment, and it’s completely free.

The HMRC register for self assessment process can be completed in a couple of minutes online and will be submitted to HMRC within 24hrs. You can easily start now by completing your details above.

If you would like to be able to speak to HMRC and handle the management of your self assessment registration to monitor and track the progress, you will need to sign the client authorisation form (64-8 form) that we will email to you once you have signed up.

Again, this service is completely free for any company or individual with no sneaky contracts or charges. All we ask is that you consider using our company management team to support you through the year and to file your end of year tax returns. If you work in the construction industry scheme (CIS), we get back, on average, £2,500 per year for each of our clients, and offer experienced advice and support throughout the tax returns process.

Once registered with us we will send you a welcome pack and details of our helpline, text service and email so that you can ask any questions you have any time. We know that self assessment registration can be confusing, but we simplify the entire process for you, giving you the confidence to know that you don’t over pay in tax throughout the year.

Apply for a UTR Number

Apply Online – UTR Number

Highly-skilled, professional assistants.

Highly-skilled, professional assistants.

Apply for a UTR Number


What is a UTR Number?

A UTR number is a unique ten digit (e.g. 12345 67890), issued by HM Revenue & Customs to identify Tax payers within their systems. UTR Number is alternatively known as Unique Taxpayer Reference number. UTR numbers are issued to the following types of entities:

  • Individuals
  • Companies
  • Trusts
  • Charitable Organisations
  • Partnerships


How to Get a UTR Number?

Although UTR numbers are issued by HMRC, as specialised HMRC agents, we can arrange to order this number on your behalf. Simply complete the above form and we will be in touch. Please note that HMRC issue the number directly and we will submit information on your behalf. It is vital that the information be correct in order for the application to go through.

To help with the application, we will send some information in the post, including an agent authorisation form (64-8). This will help us identify any problems with HMRC that may arise during your application for a UTR Number. It is important that you complete the pack to the best of your ability and return it using the envelope enclosed.


What happens next?

We help many people get very sizeable Tax rebates going back for up to four years. Some of our larger Tax rebates have been over £10,000 in value.

New UTR Number Application

Apply for a UTR Number with easy steps. Fast turn around with our easy to use online form.

Apply for a UTR Number